Wednesday, June 24, 2009

typical!!!

So I've moved on to throwing... the butterfly is going to go through it's first firing tomorrow. Throwing is harder than it looks... It takes me forever just to get the clay centered on the wheel. I made three pots in class today but I had to cut them all in half for the teacher to critique it. For the most part they were good but there are definitely some things I need to improve on... for some reason I keep putting too much pressure on the inside of the wheel and the bowl fans out too much. It's really fun though. I'd like to make myself a whole set of dishes or at least 4 plates and 4 bowls so next year ladies when we have those amazing dinner parties we can use my stuff!!! I also really want to make a few goblets... A lady who used to mentor me at Impact had some that she made and they were amazing. She drank red wine from them and it just looked so beautiful. I just dont know how much I'll be able to fit in the box that UGA ships back for us and if I have extra I'll have to pay for it myself which could get very expensive. Seeing as how I was already poor before I came here and how I'll be even more poor once I start paying on the ridiculous phone bill I'm most likely going to have, I should probably save any money that I do have... haha... I found out today that there is a bus that can take me to a supermarket... like an italian version of walmart I think... It only costs a Euro and it's only a ten minute ride!!! I'm pretty excited about it!!! I think I mentioned before that there is only one grocery store here and it is tiny. They pretty much decide what you are going to eat since there isn't much to choose from... It will be nice to have a selection. 

I really miss my apartment.... I definitely took for granted having my own space. One of my roommates wakes up at 5:30 every morning for God knows what reason and another one gets up at the same time as me so I we have to share the bathroom... there are two fridges that everyone uses (87 students) and people will spill your stuff or take yours on accident. Oh, and there are these cleaning ladies who come to sweep and make our beds... they always move my stuff... This morning I searched for my bible for 30 minutes and never found it... later one of my roommates pulls it out of her drawer!!! It drives me crazy!!! lol I never realized how much personal space I require... I'm high maintenance haha. 

I started writing a book this past fall and never finished... in fact I didn't get very far in it at all. Yesterday for some reason I just felt like writing and so I wrote two whole chapters in one day!!! I'm so excited to be working on it again.... I hope I finish it one day... even if not to publish it I think it would be cool to have written a novel! Maybe I'll bind the book myself haha. Speaking of binding, I made a really crappy book yesterday!!! I was kinda sad about it because unlike ceramics once you make a crappy fold or a crappy stitch, it's not like you can just redo it.... You have to start the book all over again. I love the binding part and the covers but I cannot decorate paper... haha... I guess that part actually takes artistic ability and I do not have it. I tried to make some prints two days ago and they are just not beautiful. I look at the stuff my teacher makes and I just feel defeated haha.... Hers are amazing. The prints she makes are so intricate and creative. I don't have the ability to think up ideas like that. I'll have to focus my projects on the binding and the stitching. Well I have italian homework, paper to buy, and a big ass hill to climb. Hope you all have an amazing Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment