Saturday, July 4, 2009

LET FREEDOM RING!!!

It's the fourth of July and I'm in Italy. haha... I'm kinda sad that I'm missing out on the grilling out, laying by the pool, listening to country music, watching the fireworks, possibly even going to the beach or lake.... there are some people going to the pool today. We are having a huge celebration here though. All of Cortona is invited and we are roasting a huge pig over a fire... and there is free wine and music and dancing. It will be fun... I need to get a book made before the festivities though, so I am stressing out a little bit... I'm just scared I won't get much work done once my mom is here... who is coming in TWO DAYS!!!!! holy cow I'm so happy. I can't wait to see her. Everyone be praying for her travels... we are both a little nervous about her treck from Rome to Cortona... she has to take several trains and we don't really know how it will all work. I had my first one on one critique in pottery yesterday. I teacher says that she really like my ideas but that I need help putting depth into my projects. Right now I'm working on these two wall pieces... they are called reliefs... It's where you have a tile that you build a picture onto with clay. I think I just limit my own possibilities because I don't know how to make things work but she helped me see how to do some things I had been thinking about. I think they will really look good eventually. I also proposed to her my idea for the rest of the semester. We had to show her what kind of work we want to do and what theme we want to follow. Kind of like a style I guess... first of all I chose hand building... I really do not like throwing on the wheel. I just was not a natural and it would have taken me all summer to get to a place where I could actually make good stuff. I'm going to work on different types of vessels (goblets, large bowls, etc.) by hand building and then add different dimensions and textures to them... I would show you a sketch but i dont know how to do that on here... the idea is that the textures will somewhat mimic the hill cities of italy... where the buildings are coming off the mountain side. As for book arts my first project is due in 1 1/2 weeks and I have the idea concrete and I've gotten all my materials but I havent started making the books... I don't have long and I have a feeling it's going to be a tedious process so I need to get started. Thats my plan today and tomorrow even though everyone else is going to the market and the pool. I have psyched myself out to be disciplined!!! yay me. This time next week I'll be in Cinque Terre with mom, laying on the beach or hiking, not even thinking about my projects!!!! For now though I need food and studio time. I hope you all have a great fourth of july. Enjoy the hamburgers and beer!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment