Wednesday, July 15, 2009

the count down begins!!!

Wow it's been too long since I posted! Mom was in town for a week and we were traveling the majority of that time and before that I was trying desperately to finish my projects so I wouldn't stress about them while she was here. I failed at the latter. I can't believe I've been here 6 weeks. Mom's visit was exactly what I needed to get "un-homesick" and power through the rest of the program. I can't believe we only have two weeks of classes left. I'm sad already. 

So mom stayed 3 nights here in Cortona and I got to show her my stomping ground. The first day I took her to everything worth hiking for in Cortona... bramesole (the house from under the tuscan sun) , Margherita (the cathedral at the top of the mountain), the park, and several really great lookouts with amazing views of the valley. I think we walked for 3-4 straight hours that day. 
It was nice to stay in the hotel too because the bed was soft and the shower was all my own!!! Mom brought me reinforcements in clothing. I was getting tired of the same 5 outfits.... we ate at all the best restaurants in Cortona...  and had the best gelato from Snoopy's and Cocoa. Mom preferred the cafe... so predictable. Mom and I became regulars at Cafe Signorelli... had to have her coffee lol. 

So then we left for Cinque Terre early Friday morning... 
it's a stretch of five cities on the northern coast in Italy.... We stayed in Monterosso the last of the five cities... It was amazing and beautiful. It was nice to lay out on a beach and get some sun. The cliffs and rocks on the coast were breathtaking and the colorful homes on the hills were like a painting. We only stayed one nig
ht but we really got the monterosso experience. We ate at a restaurant over the coast with an amazing view, ate seafood, saw a live concert on the beach, danced to italian music, learned a few line dances, and stayed in this sketchy hotel haha. The next morning we hopped a train to the next city over, vernazza.
 It was beautiful but really small... we left for Rome that day and sat on a train for 5 hours. Ate some McDonalds in the Rome train station that night!!!! I'm telling you McDonalds has never tasted so good. I had been craving a hamburger for weeks... The next day in Rome we saw everything. I'm telling you we walked for 6-7 hours that day. 
I showed mom the coliseum, the forum, the pantheon, the spanish steps, the vatican (and got to see the pope), campo di fiori, piazza nevona, the trevi fountain, the four rivers fountain, the fountain of triton, and piazza republica. We were worn out... all this by 3 in the afternoon and without any busses... that is impressive. Later that evening we went out for dinner at ROADHOUSE GRILL... yes, i wanted another hamburger ok... back off. Then  we went to see the trevi at night and attempted to walk to campo di fiori but got lost. Slept amazing that night... Till 10 the next day... went to the market at campo di fiori on monday and bought souvenirs for everyone back at home... got mcdonalds one more time before i left and then headed back to cortona... 

as soon as i got back there was a meeting about the last TWO WEEKS of classes.... holy cow panic attack struck at that moment. Pieces for the exhibit are due in less than a week.... and my midterm project for book arts due today!!! Needless to say I've practically been in the studio since I got back that night... Non stop every day... I literally missed lunch yesterday trying to get a book done... But it's cool to see pieces coming together and looking beautiful... I'm really liking the bowls I'm making and I finally finished my two part book series yesterday... I like those pretty good too. I'm still not sure what I'm putting in the exhibit... I kinda get nervous for other people to see my work. I wish I was exempt from the show altogether... I started reading Wuthering Heights on the train to Cortona and I have to say I'm loving it. It's making me want to write more... So maybe when the storm is over I can get back to the book. Until then I have a lot to do and not much time so I must go... See you all in 3 WEEKS!!!!

1 comment:

  1. oooh Abby, i admit I am so jealous! your trip sounds amazing. i want to see thee books you're doing!

    and btw, no one can tell from your pictures that you only have 5 outfits, lol.

    you should write something in italian one day!!

    i know it will be sad when you come back/leave. i can relate. i hated leaving brazil :( you ready for the school year to kick back in??

    i really am happy you get to have this type of experience!

    ReplyDelete