Wednesday, July 22, 2009

La mia ciotola è bello!!!

HOLY COW!!! My first glazed bowl just came out of the Kiln and IT'S BEAUTIFUL! I'm in love. I finished my pieces for the class... I now have 3 large serving bowls, 1 decanter, 2 goblets, and 3 wall pieces. I'm not in love with the wall pieces... All three of them have been fired twice now... second time with glaze and they are ok. They aren't beautiful though. My decanter and goblets are still very wet since I only made them at this weekend. They aren't ready to be fired yet and probably won't be till this weekend coming up. Two of my bowls will go into their first firing this evening. My first bowl that I am putting into the exhibit this Friday came out this morning and I'm totally pleased with it. It's perfect. If you remember I attempted to make a texture on my bowls that was something like the hill cities here in Italy. They are jagged and multi dimensional. I decided for the first one to use green and turquoise glazes. I poured them on thick and without any brush strokes. Glaze is so unpredictable... you can never tell how the product will come out but I couldn't be happier. I can't wait to show it in the exhibit. I've got the glazes planned out for my next two bowls as well... I can't wait to see how they come out. I havent yet decided what to do with the decanter and goblets... I'm gonna cut it really close getting them ready in time to box up for the group shipping. I might end up having to carry the goblets home myself and shipping the decanter (which would be expensive and I really hope I don't have to) Our final critique is Monday and I believe that everything but the goblets and decanter will be glazed... I can't wait to have all my stuff back at home!!! I also got back my midterm project in book arts and thought I'd show you several pics of those... I started my final project for that class yesterday... I'm doing the book of people who have affected me positively like I mentioned before. I rounded up all the pictures I need... thanks to facebook... and got those printed off and then I started writing the bios for several of the people. The book will have 22 people in it... or that's the plan if I can get that many done. I think I can though. It will be a thick book though... I plan to leave space to add to it in the future. Well I can't believe we only have 11 days left in Cortona and then we leave for Venice. I can't wait for Venice... AND HOME!!!

1 comment: